Moving & Storage Tips
Helpful Moving Tips we provide to our residential moving customers
- Before you move, fill out an address change forms supplied by your current post office at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Close all current bank account (s), making sure there are no outstanding items and
wire balance to your new bank.
- Notify all utility companies such as water, electric, telephone, and cable suppliers that you are moving.
- Keep important documents together and make duplicates of vital certificates.
- Find doctors, fire and police stations close to your new home. Get all medical records
from your doctors and ask for referrals.
- Have your driver’s license, auto registration, and tags renewed after moving and look
for auto insurance policies.
- Make sure your belongings are insured and remember to record details such as serial numbers on electronics (or take photos) before packing.
- Research laws in your new surroundings regarding business and getting a license.
- Keep packing supplies nearby:
tape measure, tape and scissors, boxes, bubble wrap, packing paper, and a marking pen.
- Revise your will and other legal documents to avoid fees.
- If you belong to churches, clubs, or organizations, transfer your membership to your
- Make sure each box you have does not exceed 50 pounds and is evenly balanced.
- Get your pet’s health certificate from the vet if it will be going by plane. Please notify with your airlines if you are bringing your pet.
- Rugs and clothing should be cleaned and wrapped before moving.
- Guard valuable items from your safe-deposit box and take traveler’s checks with
you in case you need funds quickly.
- Tend to your plants immediately. Vases and other fragile items can be wrapped in towels or blankets to conserve space.
- Label which room each box goes in and write “fragile" on boxed items in red ink.
Plan what boxes needs to be unloaded first. If moving out of an apartment, try to reserve the elevator.
- Examine all drawers, cabinets, closets, etc. to make sure they’re empty before
you leave, unless you are keeping items stored in draws. make sure that these draws will not open during moving and transportation.